Lyx Question

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Sat Sep 17 17:35:04 EDT 2005

Cyber Source wrote:

> Never having used or heard of lyx, I thought I would try it out. So I
> yummed it, checked it out on my FC4 box
> <snip>
> I was able to load an image, export it as a *.pdf and it was all fine,
> no bitching, etc.. I could send the pdf I made if you would like to
> see it.
>

> Robert F. Stockdale IV wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone:
>>     Yesterday I was using Lyx to create a document that I intended to
>> convert to Postscript or PDF. I had imported a graphic for the header
>> and when I thought everything was OK I converted it to PDF, and sent
>> it to the printer.
>> <snip>
>> Bob

Very interesting program.  I messed with it a few years ago when the
interface required you to know the codes for the various document
sections, but shortly after that a version was released with menus and
icons.  My FC3 system has 1.3.5 from October 2004 which I assume has
since been updated.

Sorry, not much of a point here except to suggest to the group that this
typesetting or page layout program is a distinct alternative to a word
processing program where the formatting is left up to the user.  With
LyX the formatting or typesetting is called up and through its markup
language automatically applied to the section you're working on.  The
printed or output result is highly refined and polished looking.  It's
well worth a look.

Here are some of the document sections supported by either selecting if
from the section menu or typing in the keybinding:
Abstract
Itemize
Description
Enumerate
Itemize
List
Enumerate
Standard
Title
Verse
Part
Chapter
Section
Subsection
Subsubsection
Paragraph
Subparagraph
Author
Bibliography
Comment
Date
Quotation
RightAddress
Address
Caption

Finally, there are execllent instructional materials included and access
directly from the program's help menu Introduction, Tutorial, User's
Guide, FAQ, etc.

Frank