#$!@

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 7 09:17:36 EDT 2005

Unfortunately as hinted at before this is not Fedora specific.  I did as much
screaming at my monitor trying to get a wireless nic to run on a laptop under
Debian.  Everytime I tried to compile or install the source it didn't match my
kernel by one character.  Then I'd find out that the version of kernel (from
deb package) had no installable source (running testing).  I then couldn't get
VMware to run due to kernel version being slightly different than source and
then don't get me started on version of GCC.  Seems the kernel I was running
had been compiled with gcc3.6 but I was running gcc 4 (default gcc in testing).
Then I finally found a kernel that had been compiled with 3.3.5 and the gcc
3.3.6 I was able to trick my machine into using (changing enough symlinks) was
close enough. Now I'm practically afraid to reboot :-)  OK I made the change in
Grub to boor old kernel by default.  I don't need cutting edge when there are
bills to pay.  A couple folks on the #debian IRC make a very strong argument
for sticking with 2.4 and I may do that.

I no longer want to compile kernels (thanks to a certain BOB M. on the list who
got me used to using plain old kernels from packages- that just worked).

JJN