#$!@

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 6 22:00:39 EDT 2005

That is the problem.  I never expected different
kernel versions to work together.
what i expected is that if redhat issues a major
release and calls it FEDORA CORE 4, then the kernel
sources labeled as FC4 should match with the binaries
released as FC4.

What I don't expect is a major release called Fedora
Core 4, and the kernel sources to be whatever the hell
version we want to pump out this week and call FC4,
even though we are several release numbers away from
what we released when we pumped out FC4.

When redhat released all of their prior Fedora Core
releases, only ONE kernel version was labeled as FC#.
All of the others were given different numbers, but
none were labeled as the 'official' fedora core
version. This way, most intelligent people would be
able to tell which kernel source rpm went with with
kernel at a glance.

With FC4, I have now stumbled over three different
releases, all called FC4.  My error was assuming that
redhat would stay consistant with their naming
conventions.

I also expected that when I did a yum install
kernel-devel, I would get the kernel number that I am
currently running.

wrong again.

I really don't want to have to recompile a kernel,
just so I can get some !!@#$$%@#$%@#$&^#$%^#& wireless
network card to run, simply because redhat refuses to
supply the source code for the kernel that they
shipped with a MAJOR RELEASE of their software. (I'm
not running FC4test#, this is the 'gold' release.)