[nflug] pulling computer name from network

Richard Hubbard rhubby at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 30 12:29:08 EST 2005

Roger that.  It was early this morning when when I
answered.

I think my work network goes by a reservation system,
because if I swap hard drives, it will get the same ip
and the same name, no matter what os i bring up.

but the main point is that this is a server issue at
work, not a client issue that he can replicate at home
unless he creates a similar server environment. Most
dhcp servers can be set up relatively easily to enable
a reservation system, so that every mac address gets
the same ip, which will allow you to do a hosts file
entry in each computer.

or, combine it with your own dns system (tinydns???I
forget the name of the one Carla Shroder advocates for
small networks).