[nflug] pulling computer name from network

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Oct 29 08:19:20 EDT 2005

Michael Getman wrote:

> I recently took a Fedora core 4 system I had loaded at home into work
> as a spare workstation. When I plugged it into the network it
> automatically pulled down a computer name from the domain(?).
>
> I have since loaded an old print server we had at work with the same
> OS and when I plugged it into the network I didn't get the same affect.
>
> Can someone tell me where in FC4 to enable this for the latest box?

Sorry for the blank reply, clickin too fast. Anywho, interesting
question. I believe this was an option that you checked when you
installed one versus the other. I have noticed this on one of our dumps
here and I don't see any gui way to change it and I have not been able
to figure out what man page might give more info but... I think the
option your looking for is "DHCP_HOSTNAME=yourhostname". Put that in
your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file. You could check
both boxes, if the one that works has that line and the one that
doesn't, doesn't have that line, then were on to something. Let me know,
as I would like some clarification on this as well.