[nflug] Building A Linux Box

nolf precognitive at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 20:10:06 EDT 2005

Hey Chris,

If you are building everything from scratch and want to understand the
proper working at hardware
level, I would say you go for source compilation from **scratch** .

The distribution I would suggest is 'gentoo'

Now, debian installation as standalone is not very easy, unless of course
you go for
a debian based distro whether be ubuntu, knoppix, kubuntu....

portage is to gentoo what apt is to debian. So you would pretty much end up
getting all the benefits of apt and also be able to compile everything fom
source - which of course would
make the most efficient use of your cpu cycles.

I think that gentoo's repositories have much more stuff than the deb
repositories (as you would have thought, you have to wait
before someone deb compiles and puts in the repository)

However, gentoo is source based, so you would get bleeeding edge packages
pretty fast
Rest, I would say to make sure the chipsets you are using are compatible, or
else you would have to
find something that works.

But here in lies the pitfall, installing gentoo from source would mean
continous compilation from
on a serious basis(considering you install gnome, kde, openoffice and other
usual stuff) would take almost a week or so

Incase you dont wanna do that then gentoo binaries are also available.

So, the fields open and the choice is yours.

---
hope is the quintessential human illusion... simultaneously the source of
your greatest strength
and your greatest weakness