[nflug] Formatting FAT32 partitions

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Fri Oct 21 09:24:08 EDT 2005

As far as I know there is no limit as to the size of formatting, at
least in Linux. I do know that if a drive is beyond 40GB, xtra pooched
:) will ONLY show ntfs as a formatting option, this use to drive me nuts
on clients machines, oh and it your formatting like 80 in ntfs, go to
lunch, wash your car, cause it's gonna be a while.
Now there's probably good reason from a fragmenting view NOT to format
such a large partition with FAT32 but it can easily be done as such
"mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/hd??" Where ?? is your drive letter and partition
number for your IDE drive, although thinking about it now, if it's a USB
external drive it will probably be recognized as a /dev/sd? vs /dev/hd?.
Anyway, watch how freaking fast that formats that drive, you will
probably think it didn't work but it did. The only thing that format
line will not do is copy the mysterious signature line that windows puts
there when formatting and the ONLY resulting problem would be that you
couldn't boot from that drive if you were to install a windows os on it,
it needs that signature line to boot from but all else will be perfectly
fine, I don't know how or if it's possible to write the signature from
Linux land. Unless gonna boot windows from the drive, it's a mute point.
On the file size issue, there are file size limitations, and I'm sure my
memory is a little foggy about this but I believe, Fat32's limit is 2GB
and NTFS is 4GB. EXT2/3's use to have a 4GB limit as well but not
anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong on these guys but the long story short
is, if think it's strange because you found a file limit size, it's not.