[nflug] repositories apt yum & smart

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 21:23:26 EDT 2005

I kind of mentioned this in the midi message but I went back and gathered the
important info so others might benefit.
The first bit is from the DAG repo which I read somewhere he no longer updates
fedora beginning with core 4 but I can't seem to find that info at the dag
site other than his list of supported ends with FC3.

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B
My Fedora repository is designed to work 100% with the Fedora Core packages.
You should have no problems applying these packages to Fedora Core. If you do
find a problem, please let me know asap so that I can look into it.
Beware that this repository is not compatible with fedora.us or livna.org. I
would like to be compatible with these repositories, but they have a policy
to not work together with other repositories. Compatibility works in 2
directions and if one party is refusing to care, it's impossible to make it
work. I still hope fedora.us and livna.org change their minds and drop this
policy. In the meantime I advise you not to use these 2 repositories.
One of the many examples is that they introduce new packages that already
existed in my repository for 2 years. Sadly, they then use other package
names so that it clashes with my already available packages. In many cases it
is hard or even impossible to work around that. With other repositories we
care about such clashes and discuss and prevent this from happening. Other
repositories are willing to fix inter-repository compatibility, fedora.us and
livna.org are not.
Other reasons for not choosing fedora.us packages: only i386 is supported (no
x86_64, pcc, sparc or alpha packages), only Fedora Core packages are provided
(no support for RHEL, Yellow Dog, Aurora, SuSE), no open development or
publicized SPEC files (following development is very hard), only resulting
source RPMs are availble.
D2. What repositories can I mix ?
Most repositories should already work well together. If you do find a problem,
the best thing to get this fixed is by reporting this to both repository
maintainers. If it is a genuine problem, it will be fixed promptly.
The repositories I mix myself are: FreshRPMS, Dries, NewRPMS and PlanetCCRMA.
FreshRPMS, PlanetCCRMA, Dries and DAG (RPMforge.net) build their packages
together from the same sources. This ensures much greater cooperation and
compatibility and will eventually lead to a merger. If you are a skilled
packager and interested to join, don't hesitate to contact us.

http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_4_installation_notes.html#Apt
As you continue please keep the following in mind: You should not use the
livna.org repository in conjunction with the
dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms/PlanetCCRMA (RPMforge) collection of rpms in your
configuration files for automatic updates. Use one group or the other but not
both. You should be made aware that there are two “schools” of rpm packagers
for Fedora Core extra applications. One group consists of the livna.org
repository and the other group consists of the
dag/freshrpms/dries/newrpms/PlanetCCRMA (RPMforge) repositories. One of the
most common causes of errors and failures in a new Fedora Core installation
has been the mixing of these two incompatible repository collections for
automatic updates. These two groups of rpm repositories have been for the
most part mutually incompatible in the past and in some cases have been known
to cause serious errors in Fedora Core installations if used together. It is
unfortunate that these two groups have not found some common ground for
consensus and have not gotten together and made their repositories compatible
with one another. Regardless of which group you choose you should also avoid
using the ATrpms repository in your yum or apt configuration files for these
reasons.
Warning: exercise caution before using the [WWW] ATrpms software repository.
Putting it into your yum configuration is not advised.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JohnMahowald/ATrpmsWarning
ATrpms replaces Core packages, including fedora-release and yum, amoung
others, pointing to its own repository. These packages are named in such a
way that they are installed rather than Core packages. And becuase such key
packages are replaced it is very difficult to remove them.

jb