[nflug] Re: midi

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 20 14:58:25 EDT 2005

I got rosegarden installed. I usually use the smart installer but the repos
that I use clash with ccrma and a few others so I set up synaptic to use the
clashing repos. I think the issue is more or less with the fc4 base upgrades
so the programs on the clashing repos are basically good to go in most
situations as long as you don't use them to upgrade the system. Anyway I
installed rosegarden with the ccrma repo and it seems to be working fine
except for the mid file issue but I think I found a workaround with using
timidity and this
timidity -iA -B2,8 -Os &
At first this worked but for some reason it stopped so I think all I have to
do is read up on timidity  and terminal commands to get the midi sound going.
I used to really like RH9 and recently did a clean install to FC4 which I
think is a very well put together version. I tried fc1-3 as upgrades but
didn't care for those versions. I tested them out as an upgrade but I figured
going from RH9 to FC4 I better just do a clean install. Alsa seems to work
fine and I have jack installed but I'm not sure how it works. I also have the
Jack Rack and Jack Mixer, just haven't played around with that stuff all that
much. All that sound stuff is avaliable from the ccrma repo just have to be
careful about compatable repos. FC4 comes with yum and the base repos but
those aren't compatable with repos like DAG, CCRMA, Dries etc for upgrading.
I just use the base yum compatable repos that came with fc4 yum and set up
the dag compatable repos with apt. I update with yum, well actually I use the
smart installer which uses yum and the GUI for smart is the smart-gui. For
locating more programs I use the other set repos on apt which I use the gui
synaptic. Thats probably not the greatest thing to do but ccrma is the sound
expert and dag has a lot of nice programs and they aren't compatable with the
base update repos so caution is in order. I'm more into image manipulation
than sound stuff but sound is important too so I'm more or less just
tinkering with the ccrma sound stuff.
Not sure if upgrading to FC4 from FC3 is the way to go or if a fresh install
of FC4 would be better? But I do like FC4 much better than when I tested out
FC3.
jb