Fedora: scsi cdrom drives me crazy

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 3 12:15:45 EDT 2005

--- Scott Fleming <nflug at afourthdimension.com> wrote:

> I've been searching for a HOWTO on getting my scsi cdrom tower to be
> available under fedora when it starts up, and have come up with a
> plethora of anything but this.
>
> Is there a HOWTO that I can't seem to find to get my 7 scsi cdrom drives
> working under linux? Winblows used to see the scsi drives with no
> problem whatsoever.

I donno if fedora has a modules.autoload functionality or not,  so you can
either tell it to do this there or put the following lines in
/etc/rc.d/rc.local

modprobe sr_mod
modprobe cdrom
modprobe sg

Odds are those modules aren't loading by default hence no CDrom's are seen on
the SCSI bus..

> I read a couple SCSI howto's and my eyes bled. I just need to know which
> files to edit to make my scsi cdroms avaiable, not mount, but available
> for mounting from my desktop.
>
> Any help on this would be appreciated.

running "cdrecord -scanbus" will usually show you if the drives are found...
Try running that command BEFORE and AFTER the modprobe lines above to see if it
finds new things.  Also a simple "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" will show you what SCSI
devices are detected,  if only some show up,  check termination of the external
SCSI bus,  the bus is terminate ONLY at the ends,  don't enable termination on
each drive, as it makes things very unpredictable and drives on the bus tend to
disappear due to bus activity and loading..

Dave J. Andruczyk