[nflug] drive integrity check

Jesse Jarzynka denisesballs at thecybersource.com
Wed Nov 30 16:15:48 EST 2005

Eric Benoit wrote:
> Does anyone know of a drive integrity check program on linux?  I may
> be using Norton Ghost wrong, but I thought running the drive integrity
> check would have picked up that a drive had 80 plus bad clusters
> ...that keep growing, please forgive my ignorance, but I thought this
> was the sign of a HDD on it's last leg.

I'm not sure what you're doing, but fsck is for finding bad blocks. Try
one of these, for whatever filesystem you are using:

fsck.cramfs
fsck.ext2
fsck.ext3
fsck.jfs
fsck.msdos
fsck.nfs
fsck.reiser4
fsck.reiserfs
fsck.vfat
fsck.xfs

You should have them all on your distro, or a rescue cd.

--
Jesse Jarzynka
Cyber Source