[nflug] ubuntu breezy badger install on compaq v2000z

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Mon Nov 28 10:56:41 EST 2005

Don't know if you fixed all of this stuff yet or not but....

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, nolf wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone here has figured out the driver issues
> of installing ubuntu breezy badger on ati radeon cards, esp. ati radeon
> express 200 M
>
> I can't get the X-server to start. It continues to crash evrytime I manage
> to start it at the
> first place.

I'm currently playing with a Radeon right now. I think its just a matter
of getting some stuff left over from my previous NVidia out of the system.
Not sure if you know this or not, but you can change your video driver to
'vesa' in your xorg.conf file so that X is at least usable for the
time-being.

> I have checked out the ubuntu-forums for 3 dayz now and haven't figured out
> exactly
> what all steps to be taken in order to install it.
>
> Also, could anyone suggest a way to make K3b recognise the dvd-rw drive.
> It only configures it as a cd-rw drive. Whenever I play a dvd, the app
> crashes!
>

> Finally, I am getting "Too many frames getting dropped Error!" while using
> xine or other players based on the xine engine. I have a 512 MB 333Mhz
> PC2700 RAM, and
> am thinking of getting a 512Meg/1Gig stick. However, what I wished to know
> was, how much RAM would
> suffice for the task at hand???

I use mplayer (only because I can't get xine to work) and I get a similar
thing once in a while. Its generally due to either a slow processor (or
slower than can handle this particular video), not having 3d acceleration
working, or not having mplayer use your 3d acceleration. I don't know what
the commands for xine are, but for mplayer I could "mplayer -vo 3dfx
movie.mpg" to natively use my voodoo 5 (oh how i miss it) or "mplayer -vo
gl movie.mpg" to use X's opengl rendering with my card. 512 ram should be
enough. But more never hurts. unless you cut yourself while opening the
packaging.

-Josh