[nflug] Fish

pirrone pirrone at localnet.com
Sat Nov 26 13:13:06 EST 2005

Cyber Source wrote:

> vlok stone wrote:
>
>> I came across this while browsing. Do you know that in KDE you can
>> use konqueror to
>> access your remote file via ssh. In KDE there's a
>> protocol called fish will actually makes the remote
>> file available like a local file.
>>
>> Jut as simple as: fish://remote.host
>> I tried it and it works great. Anyone ever use this?
>> Seems like a well hidden gem.
>>
> That's pretty cool! Incidentally, konqueror works just fine in Gnome
> too...... ;) I will poke around to see if Firefox has something similar

Also works as FISH component of Midnight Commander's Virtual file system:

cd /#sh:user at remote.host.com

and you'll be prompted for user's password.  This leaves you with all
the MC capabilities - file transfer, editing, shell commands, tagging
and multiple file operations.  Anyone used to this app and its inherent
efficiencies should give this a look if you haven't already.

Frank