[nflug] ubuntu kernel upgrade

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Wed Nov 23 16:14:19 EST 2005

BTW, I thought I'd also add... if you decide to compile a kernel from
scratch, there's a few small suggestions most people endorse:

1. Make backups... Backup your entire /boot directory, and backing up
your /etc/lilo* or /etc/grub* information is the most necessary.

2. Don't compile in the /usr/src directory, especially not
/usr/src/linux.  Keep those directories for the existing headers, if
present.

3. Keep the headers your system was compiled with.  Gcc and other
programs may require the specific kernel your system currently has.
Don't overwrite or change the headers, that is... unless you're willing
to update and/or recompile everything on your system that depends on
kernel versions.

Personally, my Slackware system has the default 2.6.13 headers since gcc
was built on them, but is running the newer kernel.  At the suggestions
of many of the Kernel.org mailling lists I've read, I compile new
kernels as a normal user, then install the kernel modules and kernel
itself as root.

Some folks may have other suggestions and ideas too, those are the one's
I've come across the most.

Ciao...

   - Tony