[nflug] MySQL Administrator

Josh Johnson joshj at linuxmail.org
Wed Nov 16 13:02:50 EST 2005

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Frank Kumro wrote:

> How can I tell the mysql admin program to use an ssh tunnel? This
> would be the method I would like to use.

Something like this should do it:

ssh -g -L 3306:localhost:3306 frank at other-computer

Assuming that this logs you into the computer that you work on at work,
just start up mysql-admin and log into localhost with the name and
password that you would use as if you were logging in from work. ssh does
the magic of making any connections to the database at localhost forward
to 'frank at other-computer'. If your firewall at work forwards ssh
connections to a certain box (that doesn't have access to the DB) then you
need to tunnel twice:

ssh -g -L 3306:localhost:3306 frank at lame-box
# Then from there tunnel to your workstation
ssh -g -L 3306:localhost:3306 frank at frankscoolbox

I've never forwarded a mysql connection though. Just post here if that
doesn't work out.

> On 11/16/05, Josh Johnson <joshj at linuxmail.org> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, 16 Nov 2005, Frank Kumro wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if anyone has used MySQL Administrator in a production
>>> environment and how did they like it? Another concern I have is
>>> allowing connections through the firewall (for example myself
>>> connecting from home). Now if I change the default mysql port and take
>>> extra security measures with mysql, does anyone see as a security
>>> hazard? Thanks for your help as always!
>>
>> I wouldn't connect from outside of the firewall unless you are going to do
>> it through an ssh tunnel. Since mysql transactions are plain text. Other
>> than that I like it. I probably use MysqlCC more though. But depending on
>> your needs it gets the job done.
>>
>> -Josh
>>

>>> --
>>> Frank