[nflug] Wine and version

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 3 23:04:21 EST 2005

One of the tricks is to make sure the DVD is MOUNTED before running the app
under wine. (I don't even need DVD Decrypter as you can trick the drive with
mplayer into unlocking the keys and staying unlocked (As long as you don't
eject the disc before ripping it)

here's my .wine/config and a listing of ~/.wine/dosdevices:

relevant sections of wine config file for MY setup, adjust to taste for your
system.  NOTE: I have 3 CDrom drives, an internal SCSI CDRW burner, and
internal IDE DVD READER, and an external firewire attached DVD everything (+/-
R/RW/RAM/CDRW etc...)

[Drive D]
"Path" = "/mnt/dvd"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CD-Rom"
"Device" = "/dev/dvd"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive E]
"Path" = "/mnt/burner"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CD-Rom"
"Device" = "/dev/cdrw"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Drive F]
"Path" = "/mnt/extburner"
"Type" = "cdrom"
"Label" = "CD-Rom"
"Device" = "/dev/cdrom2"
"Filesystem" = "win95"

[Version]
; Windows version to imitate
(win95,win98,winme,nt351,nt40,win2k,winxp,win20,win
30,win31)" },
"Windows" = "win2k"
;"Windows" = "nt40"
; DOS version to imitate
;"DOS" = "6.22"

------
listing of ~/.wine/dosdevices
dave at shrapnel ~/.wine $ ls -la dosdevices/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  2 dave users 4096 Nov  3 22:46 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 dave users 4096 Nov  3 23:01 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Aug  7 14:21 a:: -> /dev/fd0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users   15 Aug  7 14:21 c: -> ../fake_windows
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users   10 Aug  7 14:21 com1 -> /dev/ttyS0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users   10 Aug  7 14:21 com2 -> /dev/ttyS1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users   10 Aug  7 14:21 com3 -> /dev/ttyS2
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users   10 Aug  7 14:21 com4 -> /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Aug  7 14:21 d: -> /mnt/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Nov  3 22:44 d:: -> /dev/hda
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root users   11 Nov  3 22:27 e: -> /mnt/burner
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Nov  3 22:44 e:: -> /dev/sr0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root users   14 Nov  3 22:27 f: -> /mnt/extburner
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Nov  3 22:44 f:: -> /dev/sr1
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    5 Aug  7 14:21 h: -> ../..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    8 Aug  7 14:21 lpt1 -> /dev/lp0
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    4 Nov  3 22:46 x: -> /tmp
lrwxrwxrwx  1 dave users    1 Aug  7 14:21 z: -> /

notice the single colon vs double colon syntax for the CD-drives.  The single
colon link points to the devices MOUNTPOINT, the double colon version points to
the device node itself (i.e. what you MOUNT at the above mountpoint.)

--- Dave Andruczyk <djandruczyk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- robert_todd at adelphia.net wrote:
>
> >  ---- JJ Neff <jjneff at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> >  I am attempting to get DVDdecrypter working under wine
> > > http://www.mrbass.org/linux/ubuntu/dvdshrink/
> > > followed the above except for the fact I have debian sarge instead of
> > Ubuntu.
> > >
> > > I have the config set to nt40 but when I start dvdecrypter the log output
> > > states Windows 98 SE as the OS and thus tries and fails to load an ASAPI
> > dll.
> > > I can't choose STPI as an option since it sees win 32 as available.
> >
> > JJ, give up while you are ahead.  I have never gotten DVDShrink to work
> under
> > Crossover office (which uses WINE) unde ANY x86 distro of Linux.
>
> I've gotten it to work. (much head scratching went on)  but I DID get it to
> successfully work as expected and it managed to shrink a DVD wiht menus to
> fit
> onto a 4.7GB disc and still retain menus and all features.  If you REALLY
> looked hard you could see the results of the compression, but you REALLY had
> search for it..
>

> Dave J. Andruczyk

Dave J. Andruczyk