[nflug] Another reason to not use M$ products...

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Thu Nov 3 14:27:05 EST 2005

Guys,

My response was and is not an anti-Linux one. It is one of trying to remove
FUD and actually help focus Linux efforts. The point is to be able to
provide _real_ justified reasons for people to use Linux, not to make up
reasons why based on side issues. You need to understand my comments were to
HELP the Linux effort. Anyone that knows me, knows of my being a large Linux
proponent and user. In fact, I have for years "put my money where my mouth
is" and have countless Linux and OpenSource contributions.

Telling people to use Linux because some poorly written software runs on
Windows is simply not a valid argument, and anyone in any credible
technology position would see that statement as poor. All in all, I'm saying
"Hey, wake up and look at the real reasons". Sticking one's head in the sand
when someone says something not great about Linux (or good about Windows) is
a terrible response, and one that does not do justice to the reasons for
people to use Linux. (not to mention having an issue with the word
"Microsoft" even being in a Linux mailing list).

NOT talking about Windows as compared to Linux is a poor attitude to take.
The best way to win people over is to confront the real issues out front.
Having Microsoft blinders on and intentionally being ignorant to Windows is
not how to win the war. Knowing your competition inside and out is. As I've
always said, being pro-Linux does NOT mean one has to be anti-Microsoft.
That position only stands as a disservice to both the issues at hand and the
credibility of the individual. Being well rounded, knowing both sides of an
issue and being able to intelligently respond with sound arguments will help
everyone, and that was my intent.

Nothing I stated was personal in any way. It was simply trying to straighten
out the facts. I apologize for that.

That's all I'm going to say on this issue. Some of you may be happy...others
may be ecstatic :) ...'nuff said..

P.S. and I'm happy the topic got changed to "Sony spyware" :)

-Mark