why no forums?

Greg Neumann DadNeumann at verizon.net
Fri May 27 11:38:29 EDT 2005

John Seth wrote:

> Ok, I've been debating this for months ...
>
> I found nflug.com was open and unpurchased almost a year ago, and
> bought it.  I figured, what the heck, if someone on the mailing list
> wanted it to point to nflug.org, it was there.  Being bored one day, I
> put it up on my server to tinker with PostNuke and other things...
>
> Today, after this question was posed, I went back to it and updated
> the site and got it working properly.  Thus, www.nflug.com is
> available as a _counterpart_ to NFLUG.org.  I mean no disrespect to
> anyone on the list, nor the folks running the .org site, it's up and
> running as a companion site.  It is on a linux box, running PostNuke
> with the PNphpBB forums, and is far from updated.  Feel free to use it
> _in addition to_ the .org mailing list if you like.
>
> Feel free to suggest links, post news articles, downloads, or any
> other information people can use.
>
> - Tony Evans
>

> Ryan Wachowiak wrote:
>
>> just a quick question,
>>
>> im new to this newsgroup, and noticed only one problem. the massive
>> amounts of emails coming to my email. I dont really mind the whole
>> thing, but wouldnt it be MUCH easier to set up phpbb, or some forum
>> utility and just run the site off that?
>>
>> hit me up with what you think
>> ryan

Well, it looks pretty good. One thing that I've missed is a good archive
of all the advice from the trenches from the real live admins in this
group. This site would really be a help for newbies and new members
alike. The question is, despite all the best intentions, doesn't it
duplicate the effort? So, I have mixed feelings about it. I do think the
positive outweigh the negatives. I'm interested in hearing how the real
backbone of the group feels, though. ...
-Greg Neumann