HDD question

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Tue May 10 11:18:18 EDT 2005

you can't use hard links for directory or to cross filesystem boundries,
you must use soft links in these cases..

before you go moving /var you might want to investigate what is filling
up your filesystem? do this as root.

	cd /
	du -ks * |sort -n

this will give you a recursive listing of which directories are the big
offender. once you have your list do into the biggest directories are do
the 'du -ks * |sort -n' again. from here you can either continue
drilling down or start removing/compressing/wiping files, etc.

if you are going to move /var this SHOULD be done in single user mode
with syslog and klogd turned off! syslog doesn't like it when you move
active log files out of it's way when it's running. it tends to continue
writing to the filesystem but thru the old inode.

an quick way to wipe your log files:

	cat /dev/null > /var/log/messages

--
Darin Perusich