scsi install

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sat Mar 26 22:00:43 EST 2005

Stephen wrote:

> Would be nice to plug in IDE drive but user has them pluged with some
> unknown connector I can ot remove
>
> Dave Andruczyk wrote:
>
>> --- Stephen <sfielding7 at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>
>>> Good day
>>>
>>> I am trying to install mandrake on a P3 733 MHz Asus CUBX system
>>> with a adaptec AHA 2940V2W scsi card device 5 is a Toshiba 640 cdrom
>>> mandrake 10 will not detect cdrom keeps asking for driver and none
>>> on list work.
>>> On some chooses it asks for a parameter I have passed the device nbr
>>> (5) but now luck.
>>>
>>> has any one set up a system with no IDE drives
>>>
>>> This inherited system has W98 running and all hardware works
>>>

>> many insallers unfortunately assume the cdrom is /dev/hd?, I've come
>> across
>> this on several others. In every situation the easiest method was to
>> temporarily plug in an IDE cdrom to do the install and pull it later..
>> Have you checked on mandrake's forums?
>>

>> Dave J. Andruczyk
>>

>> __________________________________ Do you Yahoo!? Yahoo! Small
>> Business - Try our new resources site!
>> http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/resources/

I just spent all morning on something similar. I have an external USB
2.0 hard drive enclosure for an IDE device that I wanted to put a hard
drive in and have it boot FC3. Very long story short, after some
googling, I learned some really cool tricks. Now I can take this USB
device with my FC3 drive in to ANY pc that can boot from USB (most newer
pc's) AND I can also boot to the existing from it with another stanza in
GRUB. Anyway, I did a dump from our tweaked system drive but in order to
boot from the device I needed to have the usb-storage driver loaded by
the initrd image, so (I didnt know this before, thought I needed stuff
in modprobe.conf) but with one command line like "mkinitrd
--preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage --preload=scsi_mod
--preload=sd_mod /boot/initrdXXX.img XXXX" where XXX is the number of
the kernel. That one line made the new initrd image to boot the USB
drive and load the stuff necessary to boot from it, too damn cool.
In your instance, you might try passing something along in the boot line
to begin the install, for instance, for FC3, even if I wanted to install
to this drive, it wouldn't see the drive (or load usb-storage) unless I
started the install with "linux expert", funny thing is, the rescue cd
loads it fine. I found that googlin too, try "linux expert" at the
command line to begin the install, it may work for mandrake too.

--
cybersource.us
115 Richfield Road