Firefox mailto problem

S. Lawton green_man at bluefrog.biz
Sun Mar 20 21:56:10 EST 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 11:49:53 -0500
Joe <josephj at main.nc.us> wrote about Firefox mailto problem:

> Hi.  I have Firefox 1.0.1 on Linux.  I just clicked on a mailto: link
> and got some disk activity, but nothing else.  How do I get it to go
> to Mozilla Messenger or Thunderbird?

I can't tell you exactly right now, because Puppy only has Firefox and
Sylpheed, but in your prefs you need to direct it to the DEFAULT Mail
Application. Choose either MozMessenger or Tbird, and it should work.
When I reboot M$ I can tell more. I have Advanced browser set to use Moz
Mail, Netscape using Tbird, and Firebird using Netscape Mail, just to
keep IE, which I never use, away fom it all. The point is, if you run
more than one browser like me, each will have it's own default mail app.

> Related questions:
> Now that Firefox is all the rage, what does that mean for Mozilla
> development?  I know the underlying code is the same, but is Mozilla
> as an application going away?

It's looking like this might be the death of the dinosaur as we know it,
the integrated suite, anyhow.
I guess my Mozilla T-Shirt will be a collectors item, like the Mozilla
2002build I still run from Win95.
I wonder what Netscape will do ?

> Where do I ask Mozilla questions?  I went to Mozillazine and only
> Firefox was there and the plugins I tried to install did nothing (even
>
> in Firefox).

I know extensions and themes are version specific, VERY specific !
I hit that snag trying to use Firefox 1.0 extensions in Firefox 1.0
Preview. They wouldn't install, I had to search for Firefox 1.0PR
extensions.

I found these by digging in the Moz site, though of course Firefox is
what they're pushing.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/mozilla1.x/
http://mozilla.gunnars.net/
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Mozilla_Suite
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_%28Mozilla_Suite%29
AAAaarrgh! I hate the way it "escapes" link addresses when copy/pasting
to text.
Here's what it actually looks like -
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Links_(Mozilla_Suite)
http://kb.mozillazine.org/index.phtml?title=Mozilla_Suite