firefox 1.0.1 JRE Install help

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Sat Mar 19 03:40:37 EST 2005

anthonyriga wrote:
> I just did a clean install of firefox 1.0.1 now having
> hard time installing JRE I downloaded version
> jre1.5.0_02 but having trouble installing.Any good
> instruction for install? Thanks!

Sun's JRE has had some issues with some distro's. I had troubles getting
it to work with Fedora Core 3. It took a lot of digging, but it ended up
being a bug with the JRE. It was a known bug, listed on Sun's site.

I finally got "Java(TM) Plug-in 1.5.0_01-b08" working with Firefox 1.0
and 1.0.1.

The only thing required is to have a symbolic link to the correct file.
On my computer the plugin directory is..."/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins"

The symbolic link I have in that directory is..."libjavaplugin_oji.so ->
/opt/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so"

So...

1) Make sure you have a working JRE, more recent, the better.
2) Make sure you put a symbolic link in the correct plugins directory
3) Make sure you link to the correct file, there are more than one.

In my case, to create the link..."ln -s
/opt/java/jre1.5.0_01/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so
libjavaplugin_oji.so"

Hope that helps.

KEG