LinuxLinks Cedega Review >> printer friendly

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Fri Mar 11 15:38:37 EST 2005

One solution would be to just select the text of the article, copy it
into the text editor/word processor of your choice, and print from
there. A nice thing about linux is that after you select what you want
in the browser (or any other) window, you can just go to where you want
to paste it and do that by simply clicking the middle mouse button,
without having to remember if you copied it in the first window or not.

This could well be one of my favorite things about linux , but I don't
think it has been documented all that widely yet. I learned it by seeing
someone do it (on a Sun box) and thinking, "wow," or something like
that, and I have gotten similar responses by showing this trick to
people who had been using linux for years and never knew about it, so
please forgive me if this is considered common knowledge.

If you have a wheel mouse, the wheel is the middle button, and
clickable. If you have a 2 button mouse, hopefully you checked "emulate
3 buttons" during your install, which works by clicking left and right
buttona at the same time to make the 3rd (middle) click.

Now if I could just find a 3-button optical mouse, I'd be all set. If
anyone here has found one anywhere (I've looked just about everywhere
with no luck), please enlighten me on where to get one. Plenty of wheel
optical ones available, but only the trackball variety for 3-buttons for
some reason, and they always require tedious, delicate cleaning
maneuvers when things start getting all jerky.

The middle buton is also better for scrolling up and down windows with a
single click, imho (you scroll to wherever the middle button is clicked
on the scrollbar - found that trick in the emacs tutorial, btw). It is
also invaluable when you break away from the gnome/kde taskbar (trough)
realm and start using various other window managers like enlightenment,
blackbox, etc.

Oddly enough, the 3-button mouse I have here had M$ logos all over the
box, but I still haven't figured out what a 3 button mouse would be good
for in windows, or if the middle button would even have any function.
doesn't seem to do much of anything on the 2k side of this hard drive,
anyway.

S.