hardware browser and mounting scsi cdroms

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 09:39:08 EDT 2005

--- hawkwynd <nflug at afourthdimension.com> wrote:

> Working on my scsi cdrom tower, I have 7 CDROM drives running off the
> Adaptec aha152x controller. The hardware browser lists all 7 drives,
> labeled /dev/scd1 - /dev/scd7
>
> My problem is drives 5,6 and 7 are not able to be mounted,  when using
> the disk manager to mount the drives,  I receive:
>
>    /dev/scd5 : unknown device
>
> Same error for drives 5-7
>
> Drives 1-4 will mount without a problem.
>
> Any thoughts?

Is termination of the SCSI bus setup correctly?  (The bus should ONLY be
terminated at the very ends of the bus (both ends, typically the controller
will have auto termination,  but some older ISA cards had a bank of resistors
that you had to have plugged in for termination to be active on the card end)

I've seen several setups setup by people who didn't completely understand SCSI
and had EACH drive have termination enabled.  They had a similar issue,  drives
located physically closer to the controller card could be mounted,  but ones
near the end could not, and had sporadic detection problems.  Disabling
termination on the drives and putting in an active terminator at the end of the
bus solved all issues 100%.

Dave J. Andruczyk