midi stuff

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Wed Jul 6 08:11:44 EDT 2005

Thanks Dave. I am sort of confused about the whole process of midi,
whether it be hardware or software but here is what I ended up doing.
BTW, this was all started because my step mother who I have running FC3
and T-Bird was getting email from one of her freakin AOL friends and was
sending email with embedded midi's for background sound. And whenever
something doesn't work it looks like a shortcoming to Linux to those
that don't know better. Amazing how Linux gets blamed if an application
doesn't do something but windows NEVER gets blamed if an application
doesn't do whats expected.
Anywho,
   Here is what I did. Both myself and step mother have motherboards
with onboard sound VIA chips (via82xx), almost every motherboard comes
with onboard sound and they just work so, it would seem that timidity
does not require a hardware midi port? Don't really know what I'm
talking about here but from quick reading yesterday it seems that you
can have hardware (or virtual) or software? If I modprobed the
/dev/snd-whatever stuff it (kmid) stopped bitching and would play the
file but no sound so I assume I just didn't have done all that I needed,
etc. So my son who is always noodling in apps for Linux said he had used
timidity before, so I apt-getted and it worked straight up, with nothing
in my /etc/modprobe.conf file for sound except # --- BEGIN: Generated by
ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.8 ---
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
"
However, 1 small problem remained, to fire up the gui for timidity you
give it the option -ig (for gtk interface) but the apt-getted version
told me it wasn't compiled in and without a gui, she wouldnt be able to
stop the midi without killing the process and I can't have my 80yr old
step mother firing up a terminal to kill a process. So I then looked for
a gui piece to the thing that I might be able to apt-get, couldn't find
anything. I then decided to download the latest tar and compile the gui
option in and all would be well right? Nope, the tar was missing the
critical timidity.cfg file that contains all the sound relations, etc.
(it's huge, not something your just going to whip up without a few years
in midi college).
  So I did a little trickery due to my lack of knowledge or another way.
I apt-getted back the timidity app which contained the all important
timidity.cfg file and which the executable got installed under
/usr/bin/timidity AND I left the compiled timidity on the system as
well, as that one had the gui option. I copied the timidity.cfg file to
where the compiled version was looking for it (I suppose at this point I
could have uninstalled the apt-getted version but I left it anyway). The
compiled versions executable was installed to /usr/local/bin/timidity. I
then moved that to /usr/local/bin/oldtimidity and created an executable
script called /usr/local/bin/timidity that calls to the oldtimidity file
with the -ig option. Then I created the associations in Gnome, Firefox
and Thunderbird to play midi's with /usr/local/bin/timidity.
Might be ugly but it works and the timidity gui is pretty nice with all
the tempo options, etc. that kmid has and without the need for a
hardware midi, or anything special as far as an alsa config is concerned
( I can never find just a straight answer to an alsa question)
Anyway, there it is.