Mailling List Archives

Kevin E. Glosser keg at adelphia.net
Mon Jul 4 15:39:15 EDT 2005

John Seth wrote:

> I'd be full linux, as I am running dual boot, but I'm also a gamer...
> and Wine and other emulators don't run Star Wars Galaxies, Everquest
> 2, Anarchy Online, Dark Age of Camelot and the like. Thus, in order to
> play games, I'm stuck with Windows.

I kicked the habit by paying for Cedega, the commercial version of
W.I.N.E. for games. My Fedora Core 4 machine is the first I've had
without Windows on it. :)

I play World of Warcraft(MMORPG) and it runs almost flawlessly. I wrote
a review of my experiences. Here is my review of Cedega 4.2.1...

http://www.linuxlinks.com/portal/news/staticpages/index.php?page=20050306045044463

Since then, Transgaming has released version 4.3.2 and Point2Play 2.x
which is even easier to use. As I state in the review, "your mileage may
vary". It really depends on which games you are running. However, the
list you mentioned were fairly mainstream. The more mainstream, the more
likely they run well in Cedega. Frankly, I'd be surprised if all of them
didn't play at an acceptable level.

Lastly, Cedega is cheap. You pay a minimum of $15 and you get to
download it. You then "own" it. Whether you get future upgrades, depends
on how much you pay. The worst case scenario is $60 a year. For the
price of one high end game, you get to remove Windows. That's worth it
to me. :)

KEG
http://www.linuxlinks.com