mounting ntfs hard drive hdb

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Jul 4 10:51:32 EDT 2005

You can use 'mount' at any time, whether the drive you want mounted is
in /etc/fstab or not.  /etc/fstab is only for mounting drives
automatically on bootup of your linux system, and to unmount a drive,
you do not need to restart, just use 'umount'.  If it gives you an error
trying to unmount a hard drive/partition, then you probably are either
in it (like having done 'cd /home/user' and trying to unmount /home), or
another program is accessing that directory/device.

As far as NTFS, distro's vary on that issue with stock kernels. If your
system utilizes the latest 2.6.x kernels, they might have had the NTFS
read/write ability compiled in.  Some distro's disable NTFS writing, but
allow reading from it, especially with the 2.4.x and lower kernels.
Again, it depends on whether you are using a stock kernel from your
distro and what they have compiled into it (or as a module) or if you
compiled your own, whether you enabled NTFS read/write abilities.

I hope that helps... Your best bet is to read the manual for mount &
umount ('man mount') so you can properly mount and unmount devices.  The
NTFS issue depends on what you're running.

   - Tony