Linux vmware workstation

Cyber Source peter at thecybersource.com
Sun Jan 30 10:40:20 EST 2005

I just tar up the whole directory that the files sit in. You can even
take that tar and put it on another machine, totally hardware
transparent!. Snapshot is like a restore point, I don't use them. For
system that are critical, I set up cron's to run tars on the directories
nightly and put them in folders of there respective day of the week,
this way I have at least a weeks work of backups. I know there's better
ways to do backups and it requires alot of hard drive space but that's
cheap today and it makes restoring a breeze. Also, you can setup samba
on the Linux side and map the drives in the windows sessions, then store
all your data in the mapped drives, this way if your windows gets boned
(doesnt take long), you can restore them in minutes without worrying
about getting your data out, but if you needed, the virtual machine
itself can be booted with a rescue cd, too many options, lol