Update: Mandrake and SBLive soundcard - fun with xkill

Stephen Burke qfwfq at adelphia.net
Wed Jan 26 17:17:04 EST 2005

Thanks guys.

I suspect you are right, as I now seem to recall that everything was
muted here in suse when it started, too, and I used kmix to crank the
volume (Alsamixer volume, as I remember it, was not muted here). Odlly
enough though, kmix on the mdk drive showed normal volume level (nothing
muted) and alsamixer doesn't seem to want to run even after
(re?)installing both it and alsmixergui from the CDs- still trying to
figure that one out.

Meanwhile, I ran alsaconf, which seemed happy to configure things for me
(even ends with that encouraging "Have alot of fun!" message when it's
done). After that, full of fresh hope, I tried to play something with
xmms (still open in the background - maybe I should have turned it off
BEFORE running alsaconf?) and it [xmms] just froze solid. No sound, no
response, nada. For some reason (it was late and I must have been
running out of some crucial brainpower), I used xkill to get rid of it,
which apparently killed it for good, as it is no longer in the start
menu and doesn't run from the command line, either. Generally I've been
using the System Monitor to end processes that won't respond, but for
some reason xkill seemed like a good idea at the time (probably I should
learn to use ps ). Lacking xmms, I tried playing something with noatun.
No sound there either.

Currently, I get perfect sound in xine and mplayer, but not xmovie (or
mp3 players), so I'm thinking the problem now lies elsewhere, though I
can't imagine where at the moment. Very strange. Back to the various
mixers, I guess.

I also re-found the "Creative Open Source" page (which I have seen
before but had forgotten about) whilst seeking a solution, but when I
tried to make the (re)make the driver from those sources, I got all
sorts of complaints about kernel problems, and further gave that up when
someone on a forum somewhere pointed out (as you did) that the driver is
already there in mdk (this is 9.1 - it's there too), and since I'm not
too confident about hammering on the kernel yet.

Fun for days!

Now to figure out exactly what xkill does - probably a good idea to
research that before I go frying anything else...
;-)

Thanks again for your input,
S.