nvidia multiple kernel use

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 12:48:46 EST 2005

Here is what I found in the installer FAQ and I can see why I missed it,
it just sort of explains the multiple kernel use.

Q: I just upgraded my kernel, and now the NVIDIA kernel module will not
    load.  What is wrong?

A: The kernel interface layer of the NVIDIA kernel module must be
    compiled specifically for the configuration and version of your kernel.
    If you upgrade your kernel, then the simplest solution is to
reinstall the driver.

    ADVANCED: You can install the NVIDIA kernel module for a non
    running kernel (for example: in the situation where you just built
    and installed a new kernel, but have not rebooted yet) with a command
    line such as this:

     sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run --kernel-name='KERNEL_NAME'

    Where 'KERNEL_NAME' is what `uname -r` would report if the target
    kernel were running.

jb