Security

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 10 16:46:42 EST 2005

--- Advent Systems <adventsystems at verizon.net> wrote:

> Eric,
>     I using FC2, running on a Presario 2596us.  The kernel was updated
> to  2.6.9-1.11_FC2 #1 Sun Jan 2 15:49:30 EST 2005 i686 and system files
> are updated, as much as I know, via apt-get.
>      Are there multiple screen saver programs on the system? ie. if I
> select NO screen savers from the FC2 preferences menu will it shut down
> ALL screen savers, including the one that X11 might be starting by it
> self?
>     If this was all it was I'm ready to jump for joy,  even though I
> spent 3 day re-installing everything and it still not done :)
>
> Thanks Again,

Well if you run KDE (which by default has it's own screensaver system) you can
potentially have the issue you had.  Where KDE's screensaver is active, and
Xscreensaver is as well.  I'd expect that they might fight over the
mouse/keyboard and cause an input problem (making it unable to unlock the
display) Hitting Ctrl Alt F2-6 should get you to a text console at which point
you could login there and kill X manually or kill the screensaver.

Best to open a terminal and make sure you don't have xscreensaver running in
the background. (ps auxw |grep xscreensaver)

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk