newbe boards?

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Mon Jan 10 16:02:05 EST 2005

Advent Systems wrote:
> Thanks John,
>    btw what are STFW, STFA, RTFM?  I know about man,info,rfc, but never
> herd of these.
>
> Thanks,
> Bob Randal

Search The F*****G Web
Search The F*****G Archives
Read The F*****G Manual

Google for the first, and MARC (http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/) for the
second are some good choices.  The manual, well there's the man pages,
but those are pretty cryptic if you're just starting out, but some apps
will have a documentation section on their web site which may or may not
be good.  Some mailing lists are better than others...something like
qmail list is hell even if the question is not so basic; whereas the
php-general list isn't too bad even with basic questions.  All in all
though, the OS community is pretty good at embracing newbies.  You'll
get some jerks from time to time (I've been on both sides of the jerk
equation ;), but most of the time a helping hand will be offered.

All in all though, from the week or two since I've joined this list, it
seems like a pretty good place to start.

--
John C. Nichel
ÜberGeek
john at kegworks.com