small network

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 1 09:52:09 EST 2005

--- Advent Systems <adventsystems at verizon.net> wrote:

> (2) pc's are located in building-1 (my home) ,(2) pc's are located in
> building-2,  and the laptop floats between building-1 and building-2.
> Currently, DSL services enters building-1 and the modem is connected to
> a wireless AP/router. I have cat-5 cabling running from the AP/router in
> building-1 to building-2.  Cable length from AP/router to farthest pc in
> building-2 is approx. 200'.  As far as there use, network wise, (3) of
> the pc's and the laptop are used for a combination of small business
> accounting, music management/distribution and image
> management/distribution.  The 4th pc, located in building-2 is used as a
> test/education box that could be cut off of the network if need be but
> it's nice to be able grab some music or images off the other boxes when
> I'm taking a break wile working/learning with this box.  Like I said
> using "windows networking" they all share files, have Internet access
> and are fairly well shielded from the Internet (as least as far as Steve
> Gibson says).

Ok, simplest route is to insall SAMBA on all the machines that run linux and
set them up in "share level access" mode (same as win95/98).  A more secure way
is to use user level access, but without a central store of passwords it can
get confusing over time.  The last (and not much harder at all) is to use a NT
domain setup (samba can be a domain controller). One box that you decide to be
a domain controller (all that really means is that it holds a centralized
password database and the other samba servers will go to it to handle
authentification). The DC needs to be up all the time. (if the DC is down no
one can authenticate).  The advantage of using a Domain controller to
centralize authentification is that you can do some cools things to make things
easier, like logon scripts. (a LOT more powerful on samba than on windows as
you can have scripts per user, per client machine, per user group, etc..)  You
can also use winbindd to use the sambda DC as your primary user source for
console logons (basically a single sign on system) where the users wouldn't
need seperate passwords for their machines and network shares, etc..

All of this is documented in the samba documentation and O'reilly makes a
couple(albeit dated) books on samba. The current release is samba 3.x

> Bob Randal
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
> > Ok, first question I would have is where are these pc's and what will
> > you be doing with/on them?
> >
> > Advent Systems wrote:
> >
> >> Hello All & Happy Holidays,
> >>    I know this can get long and involved and I by no means want you
> >> guys to do my homework for me, just let me know if I'm on the right
> >> track.   I have (4) pc's and (1) laptop.  After spending 1-2 hrs. on
> >> the Internet researching I ran my cable, plugged them in, loaded my
> >> firewall software,  and clicking my mouse about 12 times at each box
> >> and my network was up and running, including wireless access for my
> >> laptop!   In trying to get the boxes networked with Linux I',I've
> >> spent easily 100 hours "surfing" (I use different distros and
> >> everyone seems to approach it and place network files and commands
> >> differently) I've purchased (3) books ( $100+)  and after months I
> >> can now ping each machine!  Questions: 1.) Do I need or "should" I
> >> run the same distro on each box, I know it sound stupid but hey!  2.)
> >> What do I "need" to share my files amongst my boxes w/o unduly
> >> exposing them to the Internet, ie. NSF, NIS, Samba,Firewall, etc. 3.)
> >> Do I need to setup one box as a dedicated server and the balance of
> >> the boxes as clients?
> >> Again I don't need a step by step here.  I'm willing to put in the
> >> time It's just that its getting ridiculous and want to make sure I'm
> >> going in the right direction.  To Illustrate how bad it is I have NO
> >> boxes running Linux at  all right now  ( my boxes are all duel boot
> >> w/win2k) because  of my file sharing requirements.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Bob Randal

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk