Dual nic issues...

Dave Andruczyk djandruczyk at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 10 17:54:09 EST 2005

--- John Seth <johnseth at phoenixwing.com> wrote:

> I've got a temperamental old HP Netserver running slackware linux (10.1),
> which has two ethernet cards in it.  One nic, eth1, has the internal IP of
> 192.168.1.x and a netmask of 255.255.255.0.  The second nic, eth0, is to
> be the external connection w/ gateway.  For example... I have an IP of
> 206.x.x.4, which Class C is split in two with a netmask of
> 255.255.255.128, and gateway of 206.x.x.1.
>
> I can ping ANY internal IP 192.168.1.1, or whatever... but I cannot ping
> any external IP, including the gateway IP.  I've tried setting the
> /etc/modules.conf to alias the module for each specific card, nothing.
> I've switched ethernet cables around and switched the IP's for each card
> around. The only that happens then is that the internal network becomes
> unreachable. I check the kernel routing tables, and everything is fine...
> ifconfig shows the correct IP and shows it as 'UP'.  However, the external
> card shows about 24 packets TX and 0 for RX.  One card is a Tulip, the
> other uses MII with the EEPro100 module.

OK where are you pinging from, the server, or a device on the internal network,
or the external one?  (Makes a big difference)

I would first off, try 1 interface at a time.  on the server configure 1 nic to
run (disable the config for the other one).  Set it for the internal network,
and plug it into a switch/hub on the internal network.  ping some device ON
that internal network from the server (see if it works), if it does go to a
device on that internal LAN and ping the server (see if that works)
If it does,  then adjust the configs to swap the ethernet cards. (i.e. disable
this card and move all the configs to the other card and repeats the tests.  If
all tests pass, then both cards seem to work OK.

Then if all tests pass (both nics work) configure ONLY the outside one (disable
the internal)  and ping a device on theexternal subnet and from an external
device ping the server,  if this FAILS, the port may be blocked, Offline, or on
the wrong VLAN (if you are using them). Then you can go to your network admin.

=====
Dave J. Andruczyk