Linux Mail Server

John Nichel john at kegworks.com
Thu Feb 3 16:22:17 EST 2005

Timothy J. Finucane wrote:
> Thank you for all the responses so far. It has given me plenty of new
> material to research.
>
> Users will require both IMAP and POP access, as well as webmail. The
> typical setup of a web hosting environment. This means I will need to
> set it up in a virtual hosting type configuration to handle multiple
> domains.
>
> Tim

I'm a fan of qmail for all of this.  Like most *nix people, I started
out on the Sendmail path, but was introduced to qmail about 4 years ago
by a friend, and have been extremely pleased with the results.  If you
follow LWQ, the initial install is real easy.  qmail (like most MTA's)
has a POP server which works quite well.  I use courier for IMAP,
VMailMgr for virtual domains, and SquirrelMail for web mail.  It's easy
to incorporate Spam tools and RBL's.  If users are going to be sending
mail from outside of a protected network (ie the Internet), I'd suggest
something like POP before SMTP.

http://www.lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html
http://www.vmailmgr.org/
http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/