Linux Mail Server

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 14:22:02 EST 2005

Well, you've probably hit on the single most religious topic in Linuxland.
There are adherents to sendmail, qmail, exim, postfix... Each has it's benefits
and tradeoffs.  I personally use sendmail.  I'm comfortable with it, I've been
working with it for a zillion years (well, maybe not a zillion but it seems
like it) and it does everything that I need.  I attach ClamAV and Spamassassin
milters to it, and use procmail to make nice maildir format mailboxes if I'm
using Courier IMAP.  Otherwise, I just let it make mbox format mailboxes and
everything just works.

Warning to the populace at large:  This IS a religious topic.  Keep responses
to technical reasoning, not "my MTA is better than your MTA 'cuz I say so and
you're a weenie for not agreeing...". :-)

We need more information from you, however.  We need to know how your users are
going to be accessing mail, whether they use the local system, directly, IMAP,
POP, webmail, etc.  We also need to know if the domains are going to have
virtual users so that if you're using things like 'info at domain1.com',
'info at domain2.org', etc. we can determine if you're going to need virtual users
or whatever.

Cheers!