[nflug] ldap stuff

Darin Perusich Darin.Perusich at cognigencorp.com
Mon Dec 19 07:40:50 EST 2005

when you export your mozilla address book it will be in LDIF
(lightweight directory information format) format. you can use this file
to directly import into you ldap directory with ldapadd, the syntax
would be like 'ldapadd -W -x -D "cn=admin,o=domain.com" -f
mozilla_export.ldif'. of course your directory will need to already be
setup.

at a minimum you will want to use the core.schema, corba.schema,
inetorgperson.schema, and rfc2307bis.schema schema's. phpldapadmin,
http://phpldapadmin.sourceforge.net/ is a nice web based user frontend.

Robert F. Stockdale IV wrote:
> It's been a while since I've played with LDAP, However, as I recall a
> user can edit their own information only. LDAP should be only
> information that not frequently changed. Mozilla's address book is setup
> as an LDAP type system and supposedly can be converted to OpenLDAP.
> There may even be utilities that convert M$ Active Directory to OpenLDAP
> format. Have you looked at
>
> http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/quickstart.html
> or
> http://www.icewarp.com/support/FAQ/Merak_Mail_Server/Tutorial_How_to_use_LDAP.html?PHPSESSID=5a6cd6c8eabc998d81f18f065d1c3366
>

> Hope this helps.
> Bob
>
> Cyber Source wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>> I remember a long time ago someone talking about ldap stuff (John Neff
>> I believe). Anyway, here is what I have. I have a client I am trying
>> to get off the evil empires msn hotmail system that he got roped into
>> with his verizon dsl deal. I have turned the guy onto Linux and he is
>> loving life, we switched over every pc in his house to Linux with
>> shared /home directories via nfs, etc.. I also set him up with our
>> email service and he loves thunderbird however he wants a shared
>> address book, etc.. Without the complexity of going the moregroupware
>> way, I am looking into putting an ldap server on our email server. I
>> have muddled through the tbird docs enough to see that, quote
>> (Unfortunately Thunderbird currently doesn't support editing entries
>> on the LDAP server so its most useful in an environment where an admin
>> maintains a corporate address book.), does this mean the address book
>> is not editable or the settings of ldap itself?? If the address book
>> is not editable, that might shoot this idea in the foot right off. Any
>> clues? TIA

Darin Perusich
Unix Systems Administrator
Cognigen Corp.