[nflug] really dumb SQL question

Frank Kumro fkumro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 13:22:37 EST 2005

How its doing the ASC its comparing the .112 to .20 and .112 < .20
since 192.0.0 == 192.0.0 - You could always write a routine that sorts
the resultset when you recieve it. Since it would be custom you would
have complete control over how it sorts. Ill take a look to see if i
can find a solution...what lang you working with?

On 12/16/05, Eric Benoit <ebenoit at hopevale.com> wrote:
> I know this is slightly off the topic of this list,
>
> but I know there are some programmers out there ;)
>
> I have a column labled ip address, it is varchar, oddly enough I input
> ...ip addresses in it. ha ha ha
>
> Here's my question:
>
> When I query the column and do an "order by ip_address ASC" the records
> won't ascend the way I want ex: 192.0.0.20, 192.0.0.112  and so on
>
> instead they ascend this way: 192.0.0.112, 192.0.0.20
>
> I am guessing this is because ASC doesn't like the periods?
>
> A finger pointed in some general direction would be great.
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Frank
Shenanigans!!