[nflug] really dumb SQL question

Eric Benoit ebenoit at hopevale.com
Fri Dec 16 12:42:06 EST 2005

I know this is slightly off the topic of this list,

but I know there are some programmers out there ;)

I have a column labled ip address, it is varchar, oddly enough I input
...ip addresses in it. ha ha ha

Here's my question:

When I query the column and do an "order by ip_address ASC" the records
won't ascend the way I want ex: 192.0.0.20, 192.0.0.112  and so on

instead they ascend this way: 192.0.0.112, 192.0.0.20

I am guessing this is because ASC doesn't like the periods?

A finger pointed in some general direction would be great.

Thanks,
Eric