[nflug] Possible notes for forum FAQ? (and some thoughts on old distros)

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 7 10:58:01 EST 2005

While HTML mail is perfectly acceptable when both parties are using it and can
send/receive it - sending any <BOLD>extra</UNBOLD;-> data to a Mailing LIST
where the readers may use anything from PC's to handheld devices (e.g.
Blackberrys, cell phones etc) is just bad practice.

So how about we add as a list policy that e-mail be AASCI **ONLY** when sent to
the list and once folks correspond with one another directly they are free to
use any !!<blink>Extra</blink>!! text they want (as if there was any way to
monitor it- unless you are Bill Gates and can monitor when I forward this
e-mail to 15 people!!!).

Sound reasonable?  Is there a FAQ or HowTo that gets sent out when folks join
and can this suggestion be added?

As to old distros.  I understand the need to get Linux to work on old hardware
- I still have an AMD 266 cpu with 8MB video card. I CAN run WM on it for
graphics!  But I do so by eliminating all apps I don't need and all processes -
NOT by running VERY outdated kernels and applications that are no longer
supported and have very well documented script kiddy readable security holes!

The point of running current versions (and using a version specific to your
hardware) is to keep maintained software and application versions - you
(general to anyone reading this list not #YOU# in particular - OK calm
now...good)  do owe it to the rest of the Internet to do your best to help
reduce the amount of Bots and if you install WAY outdated distros you might as
well stick up a Windows 98 machine!!!

If the distro you are looking at has minimum requirements that are TOO high for
your hardware - rather than go back in that distros history until you find the
version that was popular when your hardware was HOT - switch Distros!  There is
a current distro that will run on your hardware without forcing you to use
outdated/unsupported unpatched software.

My $1.02 (seems like more than just $.02 :-)

Thanks for even reading this far...

JJN