Slack 10.1 - Kernel 2.6.12.5 - Nvidia Drivers

John Seth johnseth at phoenixwing.com
Mon Aug 22 10:14:23 EDT 2005

I just installed that kernel yesterday, using Slack's 2.6.12.3 source
.config file ('make oldconfig', followed by 'make menuconfig' to adjust
what I wanted to change).  The error is due to a missing .config file
which is generated during a 'make oldconfig' or 'make menuconfig', prior
to running 'make' on the kernel source.

If you installed the kernel already, and wnet to patch with the NVidia
drivers, did you run 'make mrproper' ?  That will erase the .config file
and any files already compiled.  Copying a .config~ or .config.old may not
be the same config file you used during your original compiling of the
kernel. Usually, they're backups of unmodified configurations.

Also, in this day and age, it's better not to compile kernel's in
/usr/src. Typically, /usr/src/linux should be the complete source,
unmodified, from what GCC was compiled with.  So if you're using
Slackware-current, then you should have kernel 2.4.31, or 2.6.12.3 source
there, as Patrick Volkerding compiled gcc with NPTL (linux threads) in the
latest distro.  Then compile your updated kernel in your home directory as
a normal user... only during 'make modules_install' and 'make install' (if
used) need to be root.  My /usr/src/linux is symlinked to the 2.6.12.3
source.

Hope that helps ;)

  - Tony

--