In Case of Emergency

Stephen sfielding7 at cogeco.ca
Mon Aug 8 17:06:59 EDT 2005

A campaign encouraging people to enter an emergency contact number in
their mobile phone's memory under the heading ICE (In Case of
Emergency), has rapidly spread throughout the world as a particular
consequence of last week 's terrorist attacks in London.

Originally established as a nation-wide campaign in the UK, ICE allows
paramedics or police to be able to contact a designated relative /
next-of-kin in an emergency situation.
The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic
Bob Brotchie and was launched in May this year. Bob, 41, who has been a
paramedic for 13 years, said: "I was reflecting on some of the calls
I've attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile
phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured
person. Almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we'd
know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may
even know of their medical history." By adopting the ICE advice, your
mobile will help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or
relative - which could be vital in a life or death situation. It only
takes a few seconds to do, and it could easily help save your life. Why
not put ICE in your phone now? Simply select your person to contact in
case of emergency, enter them under the word 'ICE' and the telephone
number of the person you wish to be contacted.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it
won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It
really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest. For more
than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3 etc