networking ip address

wpos2 at adelphia.net wpos2 at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 11 12:25:38 EDT 2005

As a user towards the bottom end of the totem pole here, as far as knowledge goes:

x.y.z.254 is usually reserved for the gateway machine
x.y.z.1   is usually reserved for the DNS server

There are probably conventions regarding other types of servers (FTP, HTTP, DHCP, SQL, and the like).

Personally, I have always sticked to these conventions, unless I had a specific reason to not, just because following standards generally makes people happy.

But really, any IP address is allowed to be used within the range 1-254.  Except in your case, the range 100-150 is reserved by default for dynamically assigned ones, if I'm not mistaken about Linksys routers with DHCP servers.  (I'm assuming that this is what you meant when stating that the linksys router starts at 192.168.1.100.)  I believe this is a parameter you can change, however.  So keep the range in mind when handing out static IP addresses.