64 bit cpu

wpos2 at adelphia.net wpos2 at adelphia.net
Tue Aug 9 13:07:29 EDT 2005

 I built an Athlon 64 machine lately - 1 mb cache on proc (Clawhammer core).  Blows the doors off my P3-600.  To compare: a unit of SETI at Home on my P3 takes about 12 hours; on the A64, about 2.  I acknowledge that different binaries for each may account for some of the difference.  Never compared to a SMP setup tho.  I just know SETI at Home screams, and I can also run Mozilla, Mplayer, and GIMP concurrently without breaking a sweat, and I can finally play Tux Racer.

On the down side, I seem to be a bit more in RPM hell than with the 32-bit system.  Also, good luck trying to get Macromedia Flash plugin to work, or finding a 64 bit version.  Ditto with WINE.  Java takes some poking around the Internet, but it is there (think Blackdown).