Xcode -> Linux

Robert Meyer meyer_rm at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 4 09:43:11 EDT 2005

I just HAVE to chime in, here. :-)

<soapbox>

I've been writing code for about 23 years.  I started working with Unix before
Unix was fashionable and you could get a C Programming Language book for
$11.95.

I started out using 'vi' for editting 'cuz it came with the system.  Over the
years, it's gotten to the point where I don't have to think about editting,
even the complex ':' mode commands.  It works well and it's always available,
no additional installations required.

Somewhere along the line (fairly early on), I discovered 'make'.  It was
elegant in it's simplicity and worked well for all kinds of things.  When I
worked on VMS, I used 'MMS' which was almost EXACTLY 'make' with really minor
syntax changes (spaces before the colons and after).  This served me well for
many years.

Now that I'm older and wiser (or wise ass, depending on who you talk to), I use
a combination of 'vi' and 'make' for all of the programming that I do. :-)
These are tools that still work VERY well for most things.  I've used IDEs in
the past and have always been disappointed with their relative inflexibility
(you have to do it THEIR way) and the non-availability of the IDEs across
platforms.  I've worked in most major versions of Unix and Linux.  I've also
worked in VMS and Windows.  I have always had a version of 'vi' and 'make
available to me.

With the advent of windowing systems, I've found that I can open two windows
for development.  One for running 'make' and getting the errors from the
compile and one with 'vi' to edit the code to make the corrections that I need.
 It works really well, especially since the compile window scrolls so that I
can cruise back and identify errors and correct them in the other window.

No I will agree that the learning curve for 'vi' is quite sharp.  It takes a
bit to get used to a moded editor but the long term benefits are more than
worth the trouble.  Your hands need never leave the home row on the keyboard.
If you're a touch typist, you never have to reach for a mouse, function keys or
cursor keys.  You work with the basic alphanumeric keyboard (and the escape
key).  Nothing special needed.

Call me old fashioned but I use what works...

</soapbox>

Sorry for the rant...

Cheers!

Bob