BPLUG Meeting ReCap

Mark Musone mmusone at shatterit.com
Fri Apr 29 10:34:24 EDT 2005

Hi Everyone,

I'd just like to thank everyone for coming to the meeting last night and
especially for the people that presented.

It was amazing to see how Dustin from Cymfony (http://www.cymfony.com
<http://www.cymfony.com/> ) handles all the massive amounts of data! it's
was actually pretty humorous to hear

that the smallest database server has "only" 8G of ram and 300G of disk
space :) ..and right now he "just" has 20 database servers!!

Ron Browning definitely gave us excellent insight in the less known
databases of Cloudscape and Firebird. Quite Interesting.

Brad Bartram from Dyrect Media Group (http://www.dyrectmedia.com
<http://www.dyrectmedia.com/> ) convinced many of us (including me!) to
start using postgres..

Our local celebrity, Jeremy Garcia from the amazing LinuxQuestions.org
(http://www.linuxquestions.org <http://www.linuxquestions.org/> ) site and
from Choice One Online (http://choiceoneonline.com
<http://choiceoneonline.com/> )

showed a lot of the real-world uses and customizations of using mysql in
such highly trafficked sites, along with being so generous with giving away
free LinuxQuestions.org shirts! (We all love free stuff!! :) )

A few other key points I'd like to mention:

1. I will be getting more posters of the "History of Programming Languages"
and "History of Unix" to hand out in the next meeting.

2. There was interest in the next meeting focusing on "Hardening a Linux
Box". If this is still of interest, we will do it.

3. The presentations will be up and on the website in a few days.

4. IMPORTANT: For any non-meeting announcements, I'm going to ONLY be
posting to the bplug mailing list. Many people are getting duplicate mail
messages because I also cross-post to the nflug mailing list.

So if you have not yet, please sign up to the bplug mailing list or you will
not be getting messages like this.

You can subscribe by sending an email to bplug-subscribe at bplug.org. To send
an email to the list, email bplug at bplug.org.

The Buffalo Professional Linux Users Group is focused on the use of Linux
and Open Source in professional business environments. We have organized
presentations and seminars, and bring up topics that are of interest to
people that use or would like to use Linux as part of a corporate solution
set. We disseminate practical information and proven solutions from IT
professionals who have successfully tackled a wide range of enterprise Linux
deployment challenges. It's a rare opportunity to benefit from the
experience and insight of peers from companies that are both local and
national.

Website:  www.bplug.org <http://www.bplug.org/>