Problems Installing Mandrake 8.0 on Intel P4 mother board

JMcNamara at e1b.org JMcNamara at e1b.org
Wed Apr 20 14:34:50 EDT 2005

Thanks again for your help. I ordered a copy of Mandriva 10.1 powerpak,
which should arrive very soon.
 This should take care of all outstanding problems.

Again, thank you. You have all been very helpful.

Joe

Joseph V. McNamara, CCNA, CCAI
Instructor, Cisco Networking Academy
Erie 1 BOCES
Potter Career & Technical Center
Phone: 716-821-7331
Fax: 716-821-7336
jmcnamara at e1b.org

"Eric R. Benoit" <ebenoit at hopevale.com>
Sent by: owner-nflug at nflug.org
04/20/2005 11:59 AM
Please respond to
nflug at nflug.org

nflug at nflug.org
cc

Subject
Re: Problems Installing Mandrake 8.0 on Intel P4 mother board

Go to one of the Mandrake mirrors, make sure and get the right Mandrake
version for your system.  Don't you have a package manager setup?  It's
pretty straight forward.

if you want me to come over and help you sometime you are on my way
home, I work at Hopevale Union Free School District

JMcNamara at e1b.org wrote:

> Thanks for the help. I was able to install 10.1 easily. However it did
> not come with KDE. Any suggestions are how to get it and what version?
> Being new to Linux this is all very foreign to me. Your assistance and
> guidance is greatly appreciated.
>
> Joe
>

> Joseph V. McNamara, CCNA, CCAI
> Instructor, Cisco Networking Academy
> Erie 1 BOCES
> Potter Career & Technical Center
> Phone: 716-821-7331
> Fax: 716-821-7336
> jmcnamara at e1b.org
>

> *JMcNamara at e1b.org*
> Sent by: owner-nflug at nflug.org
>
> 04/15/2005 02:07 PM
> Please respond to

>                nflug at nflug.org
> cc
>
> Subject
>                Problems Installing Mandrake 8.0 on Intel P4 mother board
>

> Can anyone help me with my problem?
>
> I am trying to install mandrake 8.0 on new PC with an Intel D865PERL
> motherboard and Intel P4 processor. When I load the CD it boots
> normally to the initial installation screen and I press enter to begin
> the installation. A DOS type screen comes up with all sorts of
> information about things be loaded etc. The last line reads "pci_ide:
> unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, vid=8086, did=24db
> vfs: cannot open root device "" or 08:05. please append a correct "
> root=" boot option kernal panic :vfs:unable to mount root fs on 08:05" .
>
> Has anyone come across this error before or do you have any ideas?
>
> I have already contacted Intel... they were little help only giving me
> links to drivers and stating that Linux is not a supported platform.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe
>

> Joseph V. McNamara, CCNA, CCAI
> Instructor, Cisco Networking Academy
> Erie 1 BOCES
> Potter Career & Technical Center
> Phone: 716-821-7331
> Fax: 716-821-7336
> jmcnamara at e1b.org

> Teach CanIt if this mail (ID 11992769) is spam:_
> __Spam_
> <http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=s&i=11992769&m=4c200c75e723>_
> __Not spam_
> <http://milton1.wnyric.org/canit/b.php?c=n&i=11992769&m=4c200c75e723>_