Questions regarding new install

JJ Neff jjneff at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 19:18:29 EDT 2005

I am supposed to pick up a friend's "old" machine so I'll have a "new" machine
to be a game machine at the house (picking up a 6800 nvidia hopefully to run
Doom3!)

I have spent a few hours researching LVM2 on Linux distros.  I have LVM2
running and contains / and /boot on a gentoo server, but it requires a seperate
IDE drive that I have a partial rescue install on to perform rescue ops.

What distros allow LVM on install?  I understand Mandrake and Suse allow LVM in
install but does FC3?  I want to give FC3 a try as I want to work on cert and
probably need to get to know this distro.  I have Mandrake on CD and I also
have Gentoo.  Not sure which to stick with.  I know this is an awful question
to ask here but my goal is to play games and not run as a server per se.

I want to have everthing except / and /boot on LVM and would prefer to not have
to do the min install and then move every partition to LVM after install trick.

I have grown tired of the hours it takes to upgrade or install anything on
gentoo.  I miss my Debian apt-get being so darn fast and Mandrake urpmi --auto
is very fast as well.  I love the gentoo distro but hate taking SO LONG to
install everything!  I can't make up my mind between Debian/FC3/Mandrake.  Oh
well maybe I'll start an install from each distro.

JJN