Problems Installing Mandrake 8.0 on Intel P4 mother board

JMcNamara at e1b.org JMcNamara at e1b.org
Fri Apr 15 14:07:52 EDT 2005

Can anyone help me with my problem?

I am trying to install mandrake 8.0 on new PC with an Intel D865PERL
motherboard and Intel P4 processor. When I load the CD it boots normally
to the initial installation screen and I press enter to begin the
installation. A DOS type screen comes up with all sorts of information
about things be loaded etc. The last line reads "pci_ide: unknown IDE
controller on PCI bus 00 device f9, vid=8086, did=24db vfs: cannot open
root device "" or 08:05. please append a correct " root=" boot option
kernal panic :vfs:unable to mount root fs on 08:05" .

Has anyone come across this error before or do you have any ideas?

I have already contacted Intel... they were little help only giving me
links to drivers and stating that Linux is not a supported platform.

Thanks,

Joe

Joseph V. McNamara, CCNA, CCAI
Instructor, Cisco Networking Academy