modem thread

jb mesimpleton at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 10:20:04 EDT 2005

Ted Draper wrote:

>I'd love to switch to to another ISP to be able to connect to the net.  I don't want to pay for two services and the wife hates change.  She'd raise holy hell if I wanted to change just so I could surf with Linux!  LOL!  I haven't had any luck yet with my modem.  I think I just have it configured wrong.  When I go through the modem wizard and enter all my information, I hit activate and it seems to run through a script and then I get an error 8.  Anyone know what that means?  I don't seem to get the dial tone so I figure that's what it is.  Anyone else have problems with their wives?  LOL, just kidding.  I brought the Linux for dummies book because I really am a dummie when it comes to the new linux system.  Gee, I had problems just trying to change directories!!  Doesn't work like Dos.  Ok, guy's have a good one and keep putting out the great advice!  Much appreciated.

I use ispwest for dialup and it works great for Linux or Windows and the
best part is it is only $6.95 mo. for 2 years pre-payed. They also have
accelerated dial-up for $1.70 extra but I haven't tried it. I've had
full dial-up speed virtually every time I connect so I don't really see
a need. They give a 15 day free trial so your wife can't complain for at
least 2 weeks, hehehe.
I don't use the connection wizard, forget what problem I was having,
manually adding the info and query the modem.
Here is the link to ispwest.
http://www.ispwest.com/dialup/index.html
jb